Aloha friends, after many questions from friends and patients on how do you make my alcohol tinctures I thought it might be time to share my recipes and procedures. The best thing about alcohol tinctures is that you can use your waste products to make an extremely effective homeopathic medicine.
Tincture from Wikipedia:
A tincture is an alcoholic extract (e.g. of leaves or other plant material) or solution of a non-volatile substance; (e.g. of iodine, mercurochrome). To qualify as a tincture, the alcoholic extract is to have an ethanol percentage of at least 40-60% (80-120 proof) (sometimes a 90% (180 proof) pure liquid is even achieved). In herbal medicine, alcoholic tinctures are often made with various concentrations of ethanol, 25% being the most common. Other concentrations include 45% and 90%. Herbal tinctures do not always use ethanol as a solvent, though this is the most frequent. Other solvents include vinegar, glycerol, ether and propylene glycol, not all of which are used for internal consumption. However, where a raw solvent’s pH factor is a sole consideration, the advantage of ethanol is that being close to neutral pH, it is a good compromise as a passive used solvent of both acidic and alkaline constituents where a tincturing methodology is concerned. Glycerine, when utilized in a tincture methodology’s passive (i.e. ‘non-critical’) manner, is a poorer solvent generally, and vinegar, being acidic, is a better solvent of alkaloids but a poorer solvent of acids, which would result in the alkaloids being more present in the preparation than otherwise. However, for people who do not imbibe alcohol for medical, religious or moral reasons, non-alcoholic (glycerite) tinctures are an alternative.
There is more than one way to make cannabis tinctures with alcohol and I will give you 2 different alcohol recipes. Green Dragon tincture is the fastest way, but I personally like a slow made tincture which I find is a bit more effective.
1 small glass jar
1-2 oz. Ever clear or 151
2-3 grams low & quickly heated cannabis( can be done on low settings on vaporizers, but just quickly, one just wants to warm the oils in the cannabis)
1. Warm cannabis to allow for quick oil transfer to alcohol.
2. Pour alcohol into jar
3. Add warmed cannabis into alcohol and cover
4. Shake or stir vigorously for 5 minutes
Let sit for 30 minutes uncovered
5. shake or stir once more let stand for another 15, use a cheese cloth or fine mesh strainer to separate
Slow made alcohol tincture:
1 medium to large mason jar
1-2 cups 80 proof vodka
1/2 oz- 1 oz cannabis( I use a mixture of ground green bud & shake with my spent vaporizer waste & ground stems)
1. Place Cannabis in mason jar
2. Fill jar to approximately 1 1/2 inches to top( room for shaking process)
3. Place lid firmly on top making an airtight seal.
4. Shake vigorously for 2 minutes and place in a cool dark place.( repeat for 30-45 days)
5. Do not open before due date
6. When shaking time is done we uncap and let our tincture sit for 3-5 days allowing some of the alcohol to evaporate down, wrap the outside of the jar with a rag and use a clothes pin to hold on place( light can be bad when maturing a tincture)
7. Use a cheese cloth or fine mesh strainer to separate cannabis material.